The thyroid is one of the most needed endocrine glands of the body, as it helps in regulating various functions of different systems. It produces metabolic hormones which regulate the functioning like sleeping, digestion, reproduction, weight gain or loss, energy production, etc. this means that if one’s thyroid gland will ever start malfunctioning then many metabolic functions will also start showing signs of malfunction. There can be numerous types of thyroid problems like hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiter, thyroiditis, thyroid nodules, etc.
It is always advisable to keep a check on one’s thyroid levels with regular checkup so that any kind of problem can be diagnosed in time and can treat with natural thyroid medication. Some of the signs that show that one should get a thyroid test are:
- Weight loss or gain: if one is losing a lot of weight without any attempt to lose it can be because of hyperthyroidism. Whilst, if one is gaining a lot of weight and no matter what one does the weight does not seem to go away means one might have a case of hypothyroidism.
- Irregular periods: if ones menstrual cycle is not in sync and tends to get abnormal like having frequent periods or having them in a huge time gap can because of hypoactive or hyperactive thyroid respectively.
- Loss or increase of appetite: having a hyperactive thyroid can increase one’s appetite and having an underactive one can make one lose their appetite rapidly.
- Energy levels: changing energy levels can be a sign of thyroid problem. A hyperactive thyroid means one might have higher and charged up energy levels for no reason like a racing heart, and always being sluggish and tired may be a sign of hypothyroidism.
- Dry skin and damaged hair: having oilier skin or dry skin means one might be facing an overactive thyroid or an underactive thyroid problem. Also one might see that their hair is brittle and damaged with hair loss tagged along.
- Mood swings: having various mood swings along with anxiety, agitation, nervousness can be a sign of hyperthyroidism and having a dull and depressed mood can be a sign of hypothyroidism.
- Gut problems: having irregular bowel syndrome can be a sign of thyroid problem. If one is constipated may have an underactive thyroid gland and one with frequent diarrhea may have an overactive thyroid gland.
- Cold or hot: feeling too cold often might be a sign of hypothyroidism and always being sweaty and hot might be a sign of hyperthyroidism.